Thursday, October 22, 2015

Nesting, hammocks, and junk food.

Brandon and I had a brief chat with a local by the name of Pasqual last week while waiting for the boat to Panajachel. He asked us about us, we asked about him, and then the conversation turned to the weather…not snow but rain. He was pretty certain that the rain was finished (it hadn’t rained in about a week). Guess what happened two days later? The rain began again. And it rained ALL day. This was our first ALL day rain and when your only mode of transportation is walking or boat this means that you stay indoors.

I had just gone through a “rearrange the little furniture we have" moment and so we spent the entire day on the double bed that I moved into the living room watching How I Met Your Mother.  I had put the bed in the living room because the furniture we do have in the living room is adequate but not super comfy.


Bare belly picture for my mother...she is not a fan of bare belly pics. 

The following day we decided to brave the rain that had turned to a drizzle because we were going stir crazy. We decided to go to Pana for breakfast and to get lots of junk food. We picked up 5 sleeves of the most amazing cookie (Chiky), 4 bags of chips that are the closest tasting we have found to Doritos, a large bag of candy that sort of tastes like laffy taffy, and 2 snicker bars. The total was around $9.00. We both had a great time. It was nice to go to Pana without a major grocery mission.

We of course made it home for Brandon to watch the Packers win.

Back to the rearranging of furniture: I believe that I am in the nesting phase of pregnancy along with trying to make items that aren’t ours feel like home. I decided that I would like a hammock chair hung in our living room. I find hammocks to be very comfortable and I thought it would be a great substitute for a rocking chair.

Cruz, the Guardian, made sure that the owners approved and then he went to Pana for us in search of hardware to hang the chair. We all had thought that a heavy -duty hook would do the job but he ended up discovering that we needed to have something stronger (you know…to hold the pregnant lady). He had a welder rig something up for us. 

We went to Pana to purchase the hammock. I do not like bargaining with folks but that is how it works here. I do feel that I did get a fair price but it took much back and forth and lots of sweat on my part.

Brandon with the hammock in hand...look how skinny he is folks. I'm not sure what that is on his legs...not there in reality. 

The hammock was hung today. We have a hook inside and outside!


Cruz hard at work. It got REAL dusty!







































I will post a photo of myself in the hammock tomorrow when I have put some clothes on. I am still currently in my robe…whoops!

The nesting ended with us moving the double bed back into the guest room, using the other guest room as a closet for both Brandon and I (this allowed us to remove the wardrobes from our bedroom making more room), moving the couch back to the living room, and testing out the suitcase co-sleeper creation.


It's gonna work.

Back to how it was...

With the hammock.






We are continuing to make it work with what we have and we are loving this life! Spending our days together is fantastic (with some not so fantastic mixed in). 

Things we are looking forward to:
1.     Trip to Costa Rica on 11/3/15. We need to renew our visa before little person arrives.
2.     The arrival of Katie’s mom on 12/18/15.
3.     The arrival of our son…date yet to be determined.
4.     The arrival of Brandon’s parents on 1/22/16.
5.     The arrival of Mari and Randy on 1/24/16.
6.     Charlie and Colleen are planning to visit…
7.     Continuing to learn about this place.



XOXO,

Katie and Brandon


No comments:

Post a Comment