Friday, October 9, 2015

Another week has come and gone.

I did my hair for the first time since being here. Brandon asked if I had somewhere fancy to go...I just wanted to see the progress of growing out this pixie cut. I can get a small ponytail with the assistance of some bobby pins. I know this is very exciting for you all.

Sorry I'm not smiling...I'm no good at selfies


Before the move I created the year long budget. We had a loose budget at home, but having 2 incomes and no children we really didn't have to live too strictly. Living here with no current income and a child on the way (we are making some money on our home but that is going into savings) we are tracking every cent we spend.

The month of September was a challenge for me as I was cautious about spending money on anything that was not considered a necessity.  Brandon and I reviewed the spending after the first month and decided that we really do want to make the most out of this year and if that means spending more than we budgeted for we are ok with that. We don't want to sit home and miss out on experiences.  So this month Brandon has taken over tracking the spending and he brought home 2 snicker bars already...so not a necessity but oh so good!

Hard at work on the tracking of spending














I believe I mentioned previously that when were were here in January I met a woman who was born and raised in Santa Cruz. She now teaches in their government run school. She had asked me then if I was interested in helping her teach. We exchanged information and agreed to connect when we arrived in September. We have connected and are beginning to work together in the afternoons with some students who want to learn English and are not able to attend school due to the cost.

There have been some bumps as I missed 3 days due to trying to find medical care for my dog bite, they didn't meet for class for 1 week due to the festival celebrations, and this week they are out for some other reason. The plan at this point is for me to return on Monday. I'm sure you all know that I am not a teacher and have never taught anything. The first time I arrived for class Marta told me that she would like me to lead the class in an English lesson. I panicked a bit but we made it through. I came home that night and emailed our good friend Jill who teaches English to adults in Minneapolis. She was amazing and sent me many resources that helped me to create plans for moving forward. I am so grateful to her.  Another bonus is that I get my exercise walking up to Marta's home...the village is a steep climb up the mountain.

Marta's house where I attempt to teach English is up there





XOXO,

Katie and Brandon






1 comment:

  1. Katie the teacher.. I luv it!!! I'm still missing ya.. Renita

    ReplyDelete