Monday, February 29, 2016

More visitors.


One of Brandon’s old co-workers, Kareem, made the trip down to Guatemala with is girlfriend Marta. They spent some time at the lake and we were lucky enough that they wanted to hang out with us.  They also brought down some gifts from another one of Brandon’s old co-workers Kate…thank you Kate!


We went to the Chichicastenango Market (ChiChi) together. This is the largest market in Guatemala. It is located about an hour away from Lake Atitlan. Kareem and Marta had a list of loved ones that they wanted to purchase gifts for and so they were on a mission. I was hoping to find one beautiful huipil.

Church steps where flowers are sold


Kareem and Marta are master negotiators (We have moved on…you should too) and they were so much fun to watch in action. They made a fabulous team. I think I did an all right job negotiating for my purchases and I think they are beautiful!  As I was negotiating Brandon and Charlie were being surrounded by a group of women who were very interested in Charlie. They thought he was beautiful and also were concerned that he was cold. I can’t tell you how many times we explain to a local that we are from a very cold place and that this is not cold to us…our baby is not cold he is sweating!

The huipil’s that I purchased are from the village of Nahuala. Each village has their own patterns that set them apart and the women take great pride in their craft. 










The next day Brandon and I hike to Kareem and Marta’s hotel to meet them for breakfast. They stayed at the hotel that Brandon and I had hike to while I was pregnant for exercise.  It was my first time making it all of the way back. We had a very nice breakfast and then had a photo session with Marta’s selfie stick. This was my first time with a selfie stick…





Oh, we also posed for our VERY FIRST family photo as well.  Photo credit to Marta.

Like my hair?! It was so very windy!
We can’t wait to hang with Marta and Kareem when we are home in May.


XOXO,


Katie, Brandon, and Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment